Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Salted Duck Egg

As what I sail before, Chinese eat nearly everything from animals. Duck egg, quail egg and pigeon egg are good stuffs like chicken egg. Most Americans eat chicken eggs every day, but may feel strange about duck eggs. I like to eat salted duck eggs as breakfast. The flavor to me is no worse than chicken eggs.

The main reason that duck eggs are not as popular as chicken eggs is because duck eggs are smelly. Even fresh duck eggs taste putrid. Therefore Chinese never eat fresh duck eggs, they salt the eggs in order to get rid of the smell. Salted eggs of course are very salty, but still very delicious. Usually people eat them together with congee or rice to weaken the salt. Duck eggs are larger than chicken eggs. The eggshell is light green. All kinds of nutrition in duck eggs are more than chicken eggs.

I love the yolk of duck eggs very much! Perfect duck eggs have oily and golden yolk. When I was a kid, I only ate yolk and left all eggs white to my parents. The egg white is much saltier than the yolk, it is still very salty even eating with congee.

One easieset way to make salted duck egg is salting in water. First you have to prepare a crock. Then put duck eggs in the crock and pour water to just cover the eggs. After adding salt which is half the weight of eggs, seal the crock. Ten days later you cna eat. Before eating you should boil the eggs for sure. Boiling is the only way to cook duck egg.

Now go and try a food you never taste before. I assure you would love the flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment