Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner at the Dining Halls

So last night they had Thanksgiving dinner at the dining halls on campus. My RA told us about it a couple of weeks ago but I had forgotten until I saw a sign for it Thursday at lunch. I was pretty excited for the rest of the day after that because I love Thanksgiving. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but I was kind of thinking that it would just be like any other meal at the dining halls only with Thanksgiving food.

But I was wrong! It was great! Walking in the door of the dining hall, there was a massive line and the smell of turkey and rolls wafting through the air (which made me even more excited). We made it through the line, found a table, and got in line to get food.

They had everything! They had roasted turkey, glazed ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beans, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie, apple crisp, pecan bars, and apple cider (cold and hot) from a local farm.

I had roasted turkey, mashed potatoes (no gravy), corn, stuffing, sweet potatoes, a roll, pumpkin pie, and cold apple cider. Everything tasted delicious, homemade! I was totally expecting it to taste like cafeteria food but it was almost as good as my grandma’s (I said almost)!

The turkey was very juicy. The mashed potatoes had a good buttery flavor. The corn was ok. The stuffing was pretty good. It actually tasted a lot like my mom’s. The sweet potatoes were ok (this is my favorite Thanksgiving food so I’m going to be a little critical about it). They had a little too much honey and not enough brown sugar. The roll was pretty good. I like mine a little doughier though. The pumpkin pie was pretty good. And the apple cider was really good, almost as good as the stuff from the orchard by my house! I was soo full and sooo sleepy afterwards. I felt like I couldn’t move (just like real Thanksgiving)!

Another thing that I liked about this dinner was the atmosphere. It felt very warm and happy and peaceful in there. Everyone was just talking and laughing and having a good time. It felt like a Thanksgiving with friends! There were even people dressed up as Pilgrims and Indians!

I had a really nice time and I will definitely be going to this again next year and every year that I am here at Purdue!

No comments:

Post a Comment