Sunday, October 24, 2010

Banana's Foster


Banana's Foster is a great dessert that originated in New Orleans in the 1950's in an acted to promote the fruit that was being imported from Central and South America. Now Banana's Foster is an international favorite and is the most requested item on menus today. Thirty-five thousand pounds of bananas have been flamed at Brennan's restaurant in the preparation of its world famous dessert.


The first time I had this dessert was in New Orleans at the Palace Cafe. The way the waiters made the dessert was really cool. They brought out carts with an electric skillet and started to make the dessert right in front of us. It was really cool how they came out and made it right in front of us.

I hvae made this dessert twice and it is as fun to make it than it is watching it. The first time I made it it was for a group of friends so I know what I was doing for the next day where I was making it in front a group of people from my church. I was a little nervous because I had only made the dessert once and wasn't quite confident with what I was doing. When it came down to I did really good and everyone enjoyed the dessert and complemented on how good it was.

Here's the recipe for Banana's Foster:

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of banana liqueur
  • 4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
  • 1/4 cup of dark rum
  • 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
Directions:

  • Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambe pan or skillet
  • place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
  • Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan.
  • When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum.
  • Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to light the rum.
  • When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream.
  • Generously spoon the warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment