Friday, October 29, 2010

Soup


Today it was very cold outside. It was the first REALLY cold day of the season. And it wouldn’t have been so bad if the wind wasn’t so strong. Walking outside was like torture. Then I got to lunch. Grilled cheese and minestrone soup. It was perfect! I forgot how awesome soup is. I usually don’t eat it during the summer so it had been awhile since I’d last eaten it. Plus, minestrone is one of my favorite soups. I became addicted to it thanks to Olive Garden’s soup, salad, and breadsticks deal.

For those of you who don’t know, minestrone soup is made in a vegetable or chicken broth and contains some sort of small noodle, beans, and lots of vegetables. The tomatoes are what give the broth it’s red color.

One thing that I think is interesting is that the minestrone soup that I had today had chickpeas in it. Either I’ve never had minestrone soup with chickpeas in it before or I just haven’t noticed them. I hate chickpeas! But, they added a nice texture to this particular soup.

Last week I tried Subway’s soup for the first time. I had some sort of vegetable noodle soup (it pretty much tasted like minestrone) and I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was.

Another kind of soup that I like is chicken noodle soup. CLASSIC! I don’t care if it’s Campbells, it still tastes delicious. I also like cheesy potato or cheesy broccoli soup (O’Charleys’ cheesy potato soup is really good).

I’ve never made my own soup before, but I know it’s pretty easy. As far as I know, you just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot with some sort of broth/stock and a little seasoning or herbs. This winter I want get some stuff to make a big pot of soup in the kitchenette downstairs and invite all my friends to enjoy it with me.

If you have any good soup recipes or suggestions for a first time soup maker, send them my way.

Word of the Day: cannellini

No comments:

Post a Comment