Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's Fall!

Welp, the leaves are starting to change colors and it's getting colder which means it is definitely Fall. And the best part about Fall is going to the apple orchard.


I'm REALLY excited about next weekend, because I get to go to the apple orchard by my house! (so this is kind of a pre-apple orchard blog, but don't worry, I'll totally write a post-apple orchard blog...with pictures.)

When I go to the apple orchard, I like to pick my own apples. It is so much fun wandering around through the rows of trees and getting lost. I also like to get cider slushies and caramel apples.

The orchard where I live has the best cider slushies. The flavor is perfect! And their caramel apples are so fresh and crisp. You can get them with nuts or plain. I kind of like the plain ones. They also have things like honeys and jams, apple butter, seasonal vegetables like pumpkins and squash, indian corn, gourds, potpourri, and candles.

If I'm feelin' crazy, I'll buy a pumpkin. I love carving pumpkins, but I haven't done it in years! It kind of grosses me out to clean out the pumpkin, but it's still fun. It feels all weird and gooey.

When we were little, my sister and I would each get to pick out a pumpkin to carve. Our mom would cut it open and we would start pulling the insides out. Then we'd draw faces on them and she'd cut them out for us. Afterwards, she'd season and roast the seeds in the oven.

Now that I'm older, I'm going to try to carve a cool design into my pumpkin. Nothin' too intricate, but something better than just a jack-o-lantern face. For example, I think these are pretty cool, but I don't think I'm talented enough to do that. (I'll post pictures if mine turns out ok...and probably still if it doesn't.)


Word of the Day: chutney

No comments:

Post a Comment