Sunday, October 31, 2010

Microwave Bacon

Have you ever had microwave bacon? Well, it’s all right but I definitely wouldn’t choose it over real bacon.


The microwave bacon is precooked and comes in a box. I bought Oscar Mayer brand, but there are others out there. It cost around $3 for 15 strips. You just take a couple pieces out and stick them in the microwave for about a minute and that’s it.

Compared to real bacon, it is kind of dry and chewy and doesn’t get as crunchy (which is how I like my bacon...crunchy). On the plus side though, it’s faster, easier, and there’s less of a mess to clean up afterwards (bacon grease is a pain in the ass and splatters everywhere).

If you are on a diet, this is a good alternative to real bacon. Oscar Mayer’s microwave bacon is about 70 calories for four strips and real bacon is about 40-50 per strip.

Since I’m in college and can’t really cook bacon whenever I want, I bought the microwave stuff. I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought it. I guess I was thinking that I might want bacon sometime. That wasn’t really the case though. I ate a couple pieces and then it just sat in my fridge. A while later, I checked the expiration date and decided I better start eating it before it went bad. Surprisingly enough, it tastes pretty good with cheese and salsa in a quesadilla. I finally threw it away about a week and a half after the expiration date because it started to get slimy. I don’t think I’ll ever buy it again.

So if you’re craving bacon but don’t want to take the time to cook it and then have to clean up the mess (or if you’re on a diet), I recommend the microwave stuff. It is actually pretty good on BLTs. But, if you’re wanting a delicious breakfast with the works, get the real stuff.

Word of the Day: brinner (it’s breakfast for dinner)

No comments:

Post a Comment